I’ve finally gotten a chance to do some work on Trog again. The old windows and seals were in pretty bad shape. The driver/passenger windows both leaked and one side didn’t lock. The rear side windows were made of plexiglass or lexan and were pretty scratched up. And finally the rear window was never installed — just an aluminum panel where the glass should be. I spent some time tracking down new slider track for the driver passenger windows, but everything that I could source wasn’t quite the right size. So instead I ordered new 1600 series windows from Motion Windows.
The 1600 windows are available with mitred corners, but I think they look a little funny. So I elected to get the radiused corners. That means I need to fill the existing rectangular window cutouts with corner pieces. I also needed to block the edges a bit using some old oak flooring to allow for the window flange.
I got the new VDO 6K RPM tach installed in Trog when I redid the wiring. The trip to Mogfest was the first time to try it out. Turns out there’s too much noise in the ignition system and it reads high.
Blurry pic as I was driving, but it’s reading > 6K at 90 km/h. When I install the 123 Ignition the tach should read correctly…
Colby and I returned again to Mogfest this year. This time Colby’s girlfriend and Laura and Q joined.
Quentin’s first driving lesson.
On Sat night I took Trog thru a gully and got hung up. Trog was spanning the gully with the front and rear bumpers supporting it. Only a little bit of the front wheels bit into the hillside, the rear wheels were fully off the ground. A helpful Mog pulled me out.
And the damage — the rear bumper tweaked a bit.
Sorry I haven’t updated the TrogBlog in a bit. Life has been hectic with the shop move in, Mogfest, Burning Man, an East Coast trip, a wedding in Santa Cruz and other distractions. Back in the summer, before Mogfest, I installed the seats. Instead of using the adjustable rails, I chose to mount them in a fixed position — thru bolted thru the floor. This gives me another 1″ of headroom.
A little “cold forging” of the cockpit area with a hammer gave me another 2″ of legroom.
It turns out with the seats in a fixed location Trog is still comfortable for normal height people to drive.
They barely fit in there.