Home > Trog > Wiring nearly done

Wiring nearly done

April 11th, 2009

Wow, that took way longer than I anticipated.    The new wiring harness is finally installed, with a few random wires still to be run.   I still need to zip tie the bundles and secure the split loom.

Here’s the American Autowire HiWay 22 panel.   It is installed behind the drivers seat, in the rear cabin.

trog-wiring-3-1

I elected to run separate grounds, using American Autowire’s vehicle ground kit.   The black box below the fuse block is a terminal for grounds to be attached.   It has always bothered me that vehicles use the chassis/body metal as the ground return.   Firstly, steel isn’t that great of a conductor (though there is a large cross-sectional area), and secondly corrosion can degrade connections to the steel body.    This seems a better, more reliable way.   It also will help eliminate possible ground loops.    There’s a ground terminal block at the rear, this one near the fuse block, behind the guage panel and near the old fuse panel in front of the passenger seat.    6 gauge wire connects the 4 nodes.

The new dash rear.

trog-wiring-2-1

trog-wiring-1-1

I ended up using the old harness for the somewhat complicated windshield wiper logic which uses 4 relays and quite a few connections to the switches.

At the top is a tachometer I added.    It’s a VDO 6K tach that mostly matches the existing VDO instruments.

vdo-333958_w

The new glove compartment area:

trog-wiring-4-1

vs the old:

trog-cns-ripout-1

Overall, I liked the American Autowire Hiway harness kit.    Each wire is run individually, which adds a lot of flexibility, but greatly adds to the time required to wire.   I really should have preplanned where each wire went and made my own bundles to route as a group.    The long wires included in the kit meant that I only had to splice some of the wires which ran to the rear taillights.

Some things I didn’t like about the harness kit included the lack of a reverse light circuit(!), it assumed the stop/run lights are run with a single wire,  and it assumed a GM column for turn/brake/hazard logic.    I had to emulate the GM logic, mapping it to the Volvos system and placement of switches.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.