I cut out a few rusty sections of the floor a few months back. Yesterday, I finally started replacing them. Here’s a shot with the 1″ square tube floor “joists” welded in place.
Luckily an L shaped piece of 14 ga steel fell into place, after a careful rotation.
I’m hoping a rectangular piece is next.
Overhead welding sucks, so I’m going to drill holes in the sheet metal and weld to the joists from the top, rather than from below.
Here’s a blurry pic of the new panel with holes drilled and weld-thru cold galvanizing primer. The primer has zinc in it, to minimize corrosion in the space between the panel and the support pieces.
I also removed the cowling covering the rear portion of the engine and transmission and cleaned all the rust off of it.
Shot of the engine and transmission:
In the catagory of unnecessary data I don’t need, I performed tests of the outputs of the old cheezbrgr lights compared with the new LED lights. I placed a piece of white Sintrel 1 meter away from the lights. There was some ambient light in the shop due to the skylights. All pictures were taken with a Canon 30D 1/45sec F 1.8 with a 35mm lens.
In each picture pair, the top one is old incandescent and the bottom is LED. Pictures were taken off axis by about 1 meter and from about 2 meters away. (I had a prime, non-zoom lens on the camera and had to step back to capture the illuminated patch.)
Tail light: The only test where the results were pretty close, though the LED seems to be hotter in the center.
Brake: Here the LED light is radically brighter. This is the case that matters most, I think.
Turn Flasher. Again LED better — I could barely see the incandescent flasher on the Sintrel..
And finally, a comparison of the incandescent tail and brake light vs LED brake light (night braking)
I didn’t test the reverse lights.